Monday, August 29, 2011

I love teaching quilting classes ...

I have loved quilts and quilting for as long as I can remember. I made my first quilt when I was 12 years old. I collected fabrics from everyone I could think of in my family or neighborhood that sewed and had scraps. I painstakingly made 3" squares of wools, brocades, silks, polyester screen prints, knits, you name it, it was in there. I made rows and rows of 3" squares, and then put them together. And it was the ugliest darn thing you could ever imagine. But I have turned my love of this age old tradition into something else. I really enjoy passing on how to create something warm and wonderful from a few scraps or a few yards of fabric into something amazing.  And with teaching classes, I meet new people, turn others into addicts such as myself, and we laugh ... a LOT !

This weekend was the last class for Quilting 101 and my Lonestar classes. In Quilt 101, I use basic blocks made up of rectangles, squares and triangles, and I am so thankful we now have tools that make quilting easier in our modern world. My ladies in Quilt 101 were a varied group, and one woman and her sister had learned under the careful tutelage of their grandmother. For the last class they brought show and tell for the last class and I'm so sorry I didn't look for my camera before they left! They were an inspiration to all of us.


This is a sample of a few blocks put together on the diagonal that may become a table runner after adding some setting triangles.  Blocks here are 9 patch, log cabin, monkey wrench, friendship star and shoofly.

As you can see, everybody is busy !  There is always pressing, cutting, squaring, sewing !

My Lonestar ladies' stars all turned out awesome -- each one very different ...

We have Bonnie and Peggy, on the left; Bonnie's star has roses (top Left), Peggy has a holiday red and green (bottom Left). Then we have Karen and Carolyn; Carolyn's star is a red and green holiday but with a bright flair, and Karen's chose a darker holiday theme with a tint of fall colorings .. Bonnie and Peggy each chose to add more borders, yet all of them are wonderful !  Great job ladies !

Next classes will begin the 2nd week of October or thereabouts .. gotta get something going before Christmas !  Until next time ... sew on ....

Dee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by to share my adventures ~~