Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Cookies, fudge, Christmas surprises ...

For the past several years I have been the Christmas box sender -- full of cookies, regional cool foods or sauces found in my travels to my sisters, their kids, and now their children. I would put on a long list of Christmas music, sing along and bake til I dropped. Last year, I decided it was time to end it. I sent my recipes and their favorites to all the families so that this year they could make the cookies in their own kitchens. This year, I feel like I should be doing it, but I'm just limiting the amount of cooking to our own children. I've also drastically contained the amount of cookies to a favorite sugar cookie, without frosting, and fudge. Two favorites easy to make up and send out.

My daughter's birthday is Friday, December 14th -- I have always tried to make sure her birthday and Christmas were always separate. After Thanksgiving, we would start to make cookies, and December 1st, we'd start to decorate the house. Candles in the windows, garlands on the fireplaces and stairs, but we would never put the tree until after her birthday dinner.

And for this year, her birthday present is Christmas supplies. Something she asked for, and a few things she didn't. I hope that this year she can still be surprised and be filled with wonder with both the gifts she receives and the ones she has to give.

My son is stationed in Japan this year -- far away from family, friends and his much loved fiance. Technology keeps us close by using Skype so I can both see him and hear his voice. And of course, Facebook messages and posts.

I receive hundreds of status updates, shares and videos. This morning I received a really neat video from a mall in someplace USA where a crowd in the food court turned into a group in joyous song -- a wonderful rendition of prayer in song to remind us what this season is about.

May your season be filled with wonder, joy and love, to be shared with family, friends and all you meet.

Merry Christmas ~~~

Dee




1 comment:

Thank you for stopping by to share my adventures ~~