Monday, December 10, 2012

The 12 Days of Christmas ... and accessories

Last year I was going to make some Christmas accessories for my daughter's new home, but she informed me she had changed her colors. So we talked about her colors and she sent me a picture of a snowman and she wanted things to go with him. I found some fabrics that met with her approval, and made her a tablerunner.  Well, a tablerunner would be so lonely, so I decided to add some other accessories. The line from which I made the tablerunner was The Twelve Days of Christmas by Kate Spain for Moda. (The box has been sent to the destination, so I'm hoping she's gotten it by now so that I can publish this post!) 

The first thing I did was make ... stockings !

 
Of course I forgot to take a picture of the FINISHED stockings and tablerunner ...
 
I really liked this line of fabrics -- I got a 1/2 yard bundle from an online shop to make the stockings and the tablerunner. Cheery, bright and Christmas-y but not the typical always red and green. Yes it has red and green, but the blue really complements the whole thing.
 
THEN, there was a quilt --  I had found a panel that went along with the line. I thought I could find fabrics that I liked to go with it, but as the year wore on, the only answer was a kit. And I found it! Beaver Creek Quilt Company had two left, so I snagged one! 
 
   The panel has the numbered squares and the instructions were very easy to follow, the kit had everything except the backing and batting. I used a squared yard in the enter of the back and surrounded it with another. When it was quilted, it came out perfectly !! I will have to ask for a picture of  the receiver with her new quilt, front and back  :D
 
 
 
I can't publish the finished pictures until I know the box has been opened, but it sure was fun making the accessories to go with the tablerunner ...
 
The Twelve Days of Christmas has another meaning for me .. back in December of 2009, we had a pastor in our church that gave us something else to think about.
 
Besides just being a song, did you know the origins of the song came from scripture? Back when religion was unable to be practiced, the song was written to be used as a Bible study to teach the children the scripture readings of the Bible.

The references are pretty interesting if we think about them; the Partidge in the pear tree refers to God giving Jesus to us (Christians); 2 turtle doves refer to the Old and New Testaments; 3 french hens refer to faith, hope and love; 4 calling birds are the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John; 5 gold rings are the first 5 books of the Old Testament; 6 geese a-laying are the 6 days of creation; 7 swans a-swimming are the Seven gifts of the Holy Spirit; 8 maids a-milking are the Eight Beatitudes; 9 ladies dancing are the Nine fruits of the Spirit; Ten lords a-leaping are the Ten Commandments, 11 pipers piping are the Eleven faithful disciples and the Twelve drummers drumming are the Twelve Points of the Apostles Creed. When I listen to the song now, I think of these gifts as well.

My goal is now to get a few more boxes in the mail -- no stress, no worry ... I would like to think I can practice Christmas every day ~~~

For now, back to handstitching ...

Til the next time ...

Dee

 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by to share my adventures ~~